Surprisingly, tiramisu isn’t that hard to make (if you pre-buy some things). I followed this recipe from the NYT.
Total Time: 25 minutes + chill time
- 1 ¾ cups espresso or strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pack of ladyfingers
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mascarpone (8 oz)
Making the cream
- Whip egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar until pale yellow and tripled in volume.
- A slight ribbon should fall from the beaters (or whisk attachment) when lifted from the bowl.
- Move to another bowl.
- Whip heavy cream and other 1/4 cup of sugar until soft-medium peaks
- Add mascarpone and whip until soft, spreadable mixture.
- Gently fold into the egg yolk bowl.
Build up the layers
- Dust bottom layer of an 8x8 dish with 1 tbsp cocoa powder.
- Pour espresso into a shallow bowl.
- Quickly dip each ladyfinger and create a layer in the dish.
- Add half the cream as the next layer, then repeat.
- Cover top layer with other tbsp of cocoa powder.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 4 hours.